Anyone who knows me will probably associate me with pure Lavender Essential Oil. It’s generally my answer to everything!
From cuts, burns, headaches, spots, stress and the treatment of colds and coughs to name but a few ailments, it is definitely one of my BFsF!
If you have never used Pure Essential Oils before you can do no better than to start with Lavender. When you buy it make sure it is pure Essential Oil. It should be in a small dark glass bottle of around 5-15mls. Small because it is 100% concentrated and you only need a few drops at a time. There are 20 drops to 1ml. It usually costs between £5 and £9 depending on the make and quantity. Do not buy a bottle that has been sitting near a heat source or a window, as essential oils degrade very quickly in heat and light, hence the dark glass.
Here are my 6 War Waging tips on treating your cold:
- Pour a couple of drops onto a hanky or tissue and sniff it!
- Pour a couple of drops onto your pillow or sheet at night
- Pop a couple of drops into your palms, rub them gently together and cup them over your nose and inhale
- For a bath: when you are in the bath (make sure the water is not too hot as the oil will lose potency very quickly in a hot temperature) drop in 5 drops of oil and swish it about, relax and enjoy! (I recommend that Lavender is the only Essential Oil that can be used neat or undiluted on the skin or in the bath. Other Oils must be used with a carrier oil such as Almond, Olive or Grapeseed oils etc)
- Put a drop on the end of your nose and nostrils and breathe in
- Steam inhalation: You need a smallish bowl, a towel big enough to cover your head and some tissues! Pour boiling water with care into the bowl, cover your head with the towel and put in 3 drops of Lavender into the water, close your eyes and gently breathe in. It will most likely make you cough and splutter a bit, but stick with it for up to a minute and you will feel much clearer and be able to breathe easier. You can do this up to 3 times a day. I recommend in the morning on rising, midday and before bed.
Warning & my rules:
- Pure Essential Oils need to be treated with respect; they are very strong.
- Keep away from children.
- Do not put near naked flame, they are highly flammable.
- Do not use if you are pregnant unless guided by a qualified Aromatherapist
- Do not use if you are allergic to Lavender
- Keep away from your eyes. If you do accidently get oil in them wash them out immediately with cold water and consult a Dr. if in pain.
- Don’t over do it with your usage! A little goes a long way!