What a privilege and an honor to have reached the magical age of 60!
Along with the likes of Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, Lenny Henry, Michelle Pfeiffer, Sharon Stone and Jennifer Saunders, plus of course many of my fellow school class mates, 1958 was clearly a great year in which to be born!
In this the month following my birthday, I am delighted to report that there is nothing at all to fear from this ‘milestone’ number. It is after all, simply a number that records the time that we have lived on this glorious planet! I don’t feel, dress, think or look any different than I did last month, when I was 59.
With my hand on my heart, I can honestly say that I am the happiest, most vibrant, peaceful and healthiest and feel most blessed that I have ever been than at any other time in my life. I have finally grown into the person I am meant to be.
The only noticeable change at this point is the sociological and marketing slot into which I now fit. On various data based forms I will have moved up into another age category and therefore into a different ‘tick box’ or algorithm to be targeted or grouped together with other 60+ ers!
We all know that life is unpredictable and often challenging; all kinds of unforeseen tragedies sadly do and will always happen. Most of us unfortunately will or already have had to deal with these and their aftermath as best we can.
Equally we have probably all made mistakes and taken inexplicably daft decisions at times, but there is no point in living in the past, wasting precious energy regretting them if there is nothing we can do to change the outcome. We are where we are and are responsible for our thoughts and therefore our future choices and consequent actions.
Of course one can make sensible provision for the future, but to worry about what might or could happen and allow that to grip and hold you back will stop the flow of your life now; in this present moment. (It took me almost 60 years to learn this!)
So to celebrate and embrace this exciting new era based on my knowledge and experience of life thus far, these are my personal ‘commandments’ for me.
- Revel in the love of my friends and family
- Be the very best mother, grandmother, wife and friend that I can be
- Find joy in every day
- Make the time to do the things I love to do
- Not worry about my age or be made to feel old and useless by anyone or anything
- Make time to continue with my daily gratitude journal, yoga and meditation practice
- Continue to expand my mind and educate myself by taking new courses connected with my passion of health and wellbeing and telling anyone who will listen about it verbally or in my blogs!
- Eat ‘real’ food with plenty of ‘good’ fats and avoid sugar
- Keep well hydrated with water and herb teas
- Notice the beauty of the natural world
- Be a force for good using my wisdom and knowledge to help others
If you are a fellow 58er why don’t you join me in this new and glorious era and celebrate the wisdom, beauty, radiance and grace that is your soul?
Be your own Ambassador for you.